[NSWI004] What is %pF?

Vojtech Horky horky at d3s.mff.cuni.cz
Fri Oct 9 21:41:06 CEST 2020

Hello.

Dne 09. 10. 20 v 17:23 jakub.pelc at email.cz napsal(a):
> I see people discussing some %pF specifier as if it were part of the
> assignment, but I can't see it anywhere in the assignment text. What is
> %pF supposed to do and should we implement it?

Sorry, this somehow got omitted from the assignment text but it remained
in the tests. Because this is my mistake, we will not penalize you if
you do not implement %pF at all (though I highly recommend you to do so
as it could be very useful later on).

%pF is another extension (like %pL) that prints first four instructions
of a given function (i.e. parameter is a function pointer). Format is
given in the test, as with %pL this is mostly a debugging feature.

Updated text is already in the upstream repository.

Also note that assignment tests are again split into two groups: base
and extended. It serves as another hint of what is the more and less
important part of the assignment (e.g. in A01, implementing %pL is less
important than implementing %x).

Generally, incomplete base part means that you will not be able to
continue towards next assignment (because you would miss a core
functionality). If you do not implement the extended part, you would
receive less points and working with your kernel could become a bit less
developer-friendly (e.g. missing debugging features or slower execution).

Cheers,
- VH