[NSWI004] Regarding Project Activity Points

Ondřej Roztočil roztocil at outlook.com
Wed Oct 21 12:09:46 CEST 2020

Dear Prof. Tůma,

thank you for taking the time to write your answer. Although you haven't addressed my other issues, it was interesting and useful for understanding your motivations. I guess the main difference between our perspectives is that you care lot more about making sure no one cheats than I do (probably understandably). My basic viewpoint is that: 1) vast majority of students are well-meaning and responsible, 2) they can be trusted with how they approach their learning and how they schedule their school work, 3) grading and overall course structure should be designed around them.

Also, I feel the need to state that I don't really care very much about this, personally, and I would appreciate if we could get rid of the mentality that one can only question something because they have some ulterior personal reasons. (I'm not saying this is your case, Mr. Tůma, just in general.)

Regarding your criticism at the end:

> You suggest we should simply trust the team members to do their fair share of work,
> yet at the same time you do not trust the very same team members to realize that there
> are other essential components to team work than just commits, and you are worried
> that our simple thresholds on repository activity will lead them astray.

I shouldn't have phrased my "theoretical" point as pompously as an issue of teaching lessons. However, teachers repeat morals about basic programming practices all the time, even though every student knows them - why shouldn't they care about their lessons in other areas. Leaving that aside, my idea is that a system that requires team work and at the same time only rewards individual coding doesn't seem great.

> yet you suggest that we might abuse our position and take a petty revenge on you

I assume that you are making fun of me in return, but in case you don't: my last remark was just an ironic quip (as I have an unfortunate urge to fill my emails with). I obviously hold you and your colleagues in high esteem.

Best regards
O.R.