[OSy] 6th lab topic

Martin Decky decky at d3s.mff.cuni.cz
Sat Jan 14 04:10:05 CET 2017

Dear all,

> I wanted to ask, if there is any particular topic for the announced 6th
> lab or what parts of source code of Kalisto to review before the lab?

We have reasons to keep the specific topic as a surprise. Suffice to say
that it won't be a completely new topic, but a reprise of one of the
previous five topics. The actual task assignment should be relatively easy.

Please see this as a opportunity to refresh your knowledge of all the
five topics by going through the extended assignments and at least
mentally realizing what would be necessary to implement them. After all,
this will be handy for your preparation for the exam, too.

As always, try to focus on the parts of Kalisto that are repeatedly used
in most assignments -- abstract data structures (such as the linked
list), concrete data structures (such as the thread structure) and
commonly used kernel functions (such as the thread manipulating functions).

Also think about the features of C that caused the most trouble
previously -- working with pointers, array/pointer arithmetics,
distinguishing between physical/virtual addresses (or frame/page
indexes, respectively), etc.

M.D.