[NSWI080] Distance teaching information for NSWI080 Middleware

Petr Tůma petr.tuma at d3s.mff.cuni.cz
Fri Mar 13 20:32:14 CET 2020

Hello,

you're receiving this mail because you are listed among students of the NSWI080 course. Please unsubscribe from this mailing list if you have decided to skip the course.

First of all, thank you for your patience and for filling in the teaching preferences form - based on the results, people seem to prefer continuing lectures online, with some worries about the amount of home preparation required. The plan therefore is to continue the lectures online, with mild home preparation that is basically related to what you would have to do for the labs anyway.

- We will be using the Zoom conference system. You can get the client at http://zoom.us, a variety of platforms should be supported. You can test your connectivity at http://zoom.us/test.

- The first online lecture will start using the standard lecture schedule, that is, on Friday March 20 at 10:40. I will provide the connection information later in this list. If all agree, schedule adjustment is of course possible, but this seems to be a good slot to start with.

- Please expect the lectures to be interactive, participation with a camera and a mike is very much encouraged. The lecture will also be recorded and the recording put on the web, however, this should be taken as a last resort option. Obviusly, with nobody around to ask questions, there would be nothing to discuss and record (we really do not need a recording of me reading slides, people can read for themselves :-).

- The labs will adhere to the original schedule but use the mailing list only.

- Before the lecture, please prepare using the points below.

# Before Class

## Review CORBA Interface Definition Language

Review the CORBA IDL syntax.
What types can CORBA IDL describe that protobuf cannot ?
Find a CORBA IDL example coming from a real application.

## Install CORBA

Install a CORBA implementation, preferably with C++ support, to use for the lab assignment. Options include:
- omniORB is available at http://omniorb.sourceforge.net
- TAO is available at http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu
- TAOx11 is available at http://github.com/remedyit/taox11
Linux distributions often provide packages too.

## Try CORBA Examples

Depending on your CORBA implementation, run the appropriate basic examples
from http://github.com/d-iii-s/teaching-middleware/tree/master/src/corba-basic-server.

The course web page has been updated, if you still miss some information do not hesitate to ask here or mail me directly.

Again, thank you for your cooperation, I guess this is a bit of an adventure for everyone :-)

Petr

--
Petr Tuma
Distributed and Dependable Systems