[NSWI080] Middleware labs and assignments

Vlastimil Dort dort at d3s.mff.cuni.cz
Sat Mar 14 22:53:13 CET 2020

Dear students,

as you were informed, we are switching to distance teaching. For
Middleware labs, we will stick to the original schedule, and use the
mailing list as the primary communication channel.

ACCESSING LAB COMPUTERS

Computer labs are closed, but you can access the computers remotely by
SSH, so you can still use these computers to write and test your solutions.

If you have a computer with a Linux system, access the command line on a
lab computer using the command `ssh LOGINNAME at u-plXX.ms.mff.cuni.cz`,
where XX is between 0 and 30. To transfer a file from your computer, use
the command `scp FILE LOGINNAME at u-plXX.ms.mff.cuni.cz:~/DSTDIR`.

More information about available computers is at
http://wiki.ms.mff.cuni.cz/wiki/Po%c4%8d%c3%adta%c4%8de_UNIX . (Links
are in Czech, you can ask me if you need anything translated.) It is
also possible to access your home directory using OpenAFS
http://wiki.ms.mff.cuni.cz/wiki/laborato%c5%99_UNIX#P%C5%99ipojen%C3%AD_laborkov%C3%BDch_disk%C5%AF_odjinud
.

If you have Windows, there is similar software available. For example,
`putty` and `pscp`: https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
. For file transfer, you can also use a GUI application `winscp`:
https://winscp.net/eng/index.php

ASSIGNMENT 2

The second assignment will be given on 17th March. Before 10:40, the
task will be announced on this mailing list and materials will be added
to the website of the course.

During the scheduled time of the labs, I will be available and try to
answer your questions by e-mail as soon as possible. (You can post
questions at other times too, but I will not respond as quickly.)

Instead of the requirement to attend the labs in person, you will be
asked to compile and run the provided example and use it to connect to
our server and make a remote procedure call. Doing that during the day
will count as lab attendance. (In case you don't do that, you will be
asked to show and explain your solution, but instead of doing that in
person in the lab, we will schedule an (on-line) meeting individually.)

Vlastimil Dort