[NSWI177] Distance teaching etc. for NSWI177 course

Vojtech Horky horky at d3s.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Mar 11 10:05:55 CET 2020

Dear all,

as you probably already know, standard teaching has been suspended for
an indefinite period of time because of COVID-19 threat [1].

[1] https://mff.cuni.cz/coronavirus

We are now looking at the options for distance teaching (we should
realistically assume that standard teaching will not be resumed soon)
and how to continue with the course. Because we are quite happy with how
you were preparing for the labs using the before-class, we will probably
continue in this direction.

However, not everything we wanted to talk about in the labs is actually
present in the exercises. We need some time to expand the exercises to
make them more self-contained and ready for self-study. We expect to
start putting extended exercises on the web sometime next week (we will
inform you via this mailing-list).

Meanwhile, I would recommend you to install GNU/Linux on your computer.
There are basically three options: (1) dual-boot, (2) install on a USB
disk or (3) install it in a virtual environment (such as VirtualBox [2]).

[2] https://www.virtualbox.org/

(1) is the most advanced (as you need to resize disk partition with your
existing OS - but do not worry, it can be done either in the existing OS
or directly from the installer) but also gives you the best results
(performance, ease of use, ...).

(2) is a perfect option for beginners as you do not need to touch your
hard-drive at all.

(3) is the safest option but it has the downside that the virtualized
system is always a bit slower and the extra layer can be annoying.

Our recommendation for the distribution to use is Fedora [3]. Select the
workstation edition. If you prefer other desktop environment than GNOME,
you may want to download some of the spins [4] (obviously, you can
install the right environment from any edition: the spin only have it as
a default).

[3] https://getfedora.org/
[4] https://spins.fedoraproject.org/

You can also connect remotely to the machines in the Rotunda lab and
also in both rooms SU1 and SU2 using SSH. The machines are available as

- u-pl{1-30}.ms.mff.cuni.cz (Rotunda)
- u1-{1-14}.ms.mff.cuni.cz (SU1)
- u2-{1-25}.ms.mff.cuni.cz (SU2)

Connect to a random one to prevent overload ;-). One way to connect from
Windows to a remote Linux machine is to use PuTTY [5].

[5] https://putty.org/

It is difficult to predict how the self-study and remote teaching will
affect such hands-on course as this one. Things that could be explained
by practical demonstration during the labs may be difficult to explain
over e-mail. Thus we are ready to relax the grading requirements to
reflect all these circumstances. But we encourage you to work on the
exercises and the tasks as they are announced and not postpone it
unnecessarily.

Final notes: do not forget to activate your GitLab account if you have
not done already (see notes on the course website). Please, use this
mailing list for any questions regarding organization of the course or
any of the exercises or tasks. Also, do not be afraid to answer
questions of your colleagues if you already struggled with the same
problem and solved it. We only ask you not to post here complete
solutions of the graded tasks.

Best regards,
- Vojtech Horky