[NSWI004] WSL support

Jura Pelc jirik.pelc1998 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 10:11:31 CEST 2020

Hi,

for all those who want to use Windows for coding your operating system.
I've done some experimenting and I was able to build and run a01 on WSL.
So I want to share my first results and most important I want to find out
if there is any other catch.

I am using ArchWSL 1 (https://github.com/yuk7/ArchWSL).
 - Advantage over WSL from MS Store is, that you can download it to a
custom directory. Store one will be downloaded to C disk and it can consume
nontrivial storage space.
 - I used toolchain-dynamic.sh
<https://d3s.mff.cuni.cz/files/teaching/nswi004/download/toolchain-dynamic.sh>
get cross-compiler, it took about 20 minutes of both super fast shell and
static frozen like package managing.
 - And msim from https://github.com/d-iii-s/msim (it needed some
packages to download, but it was kind enough and give me precise package
name)

All can be prepared within 2 to 3 hours. Based on how skilled you are with
Linux. Bu

The environment is running for both examples
<https://d3s.mff.cuni.cz/teaching/nswi004/exercises> and a01 and I didn't
find any problem so far.
The question is if there are any other functions or features I need to use
that can cause a problem. I don't want to find out in the middle of the
deadline rush that I missed some functionality and I am unable to finish
the task.

I would like to take this as a partial Proof of concept. And I am confident
enough to continue.
And if you try to do it on yourself please notify me about your success or
fail (or both).
--

S pozdravem Jiří Pelc
Matematicko-fyzikální fakulta