[NSWI004] Regarding Project Activity Points

Ondřej Roztočil roztocil at outlook.com
Wed Oct 21 09:56:13 CEST 2020

Hi Peter,

you misunderstood me, but I take it as my responsibility for not writing clearer.

My remarks were not about difficulty and not really about total time demands. Clearly, any Matfyz student can do greater things than write 2000 lines of code given 20 free days. (Although, I am not sure you have done the math on how many weeks there are in the rest of the semester.)

Regarding "fairness" of the metrics, to simplify my question: Why should someone who does the same or better job in 1000 LOC and does it on 10 separate days receive less points than someone who does it in 2000 LOC on 20 days.

Then there are technical questions and issues. How does it work with Git, what code is taken into account, etc.

To your points:
> It isn't even clear whether the metric should measure your effort or the quality of your work.
Obviously, this metric is intended to measure (and ultimately promote) effort - how could it measure quality in the first place?

> Both of these are hard to even define properly, not to mention the difficulty of finding easily testable tools to measure them with.
Yes, that was part of my point. However, what I am wondering is why there has to be a quantifiable metric in the first place. The output - i.e. the assignment solutions - is already tested for correctness and then manually reviewed (through considerable effort on the reviewer's part). Why not avoid the potential issues and either make all the assignments individual or leave it up to the teams to handle fair division of work internally (only stepping in if some teams become truly dysfunctional)?

Anyway, I should have more clearly separated the practical questions from the 'why' questions, as the first are more relevant for the work at hand.

Best regards

O.