[OSy] Last exam term and wrap up

Petr Tůma petr.tuma at d3s.mff.cuni.cz
Thu Jan 31 10:43:49 CET 2019

Hello,

I wanted to provide some information related to the upcoming exam term and more generally wrap up some open points:

- The exam term on February 8 is, at this time, the last one that is open in SIS. I usually open additional exam terms in the summer semester, so if you want to postpone the exam, it is safe to do so. If there is an urgent need I can open an extra term in February (however, there is some overhead associated with this so please do not ask lightly). If the current options pose a problem for you, do mail me.

- If you are preparing for the exam and would like more sample questions that what is on the web, you can take a look at the questions from the first two terms. I've attached the files to this mail. Also, feel free to open discussion about the questions on this mailing list if you are not sure what the correct answer should be. Your colleagues can benefit too.

- In the summer semester, we open a course on Advanced Operating Systems that you might be interested in. There are no labs and no homework :-) instead, we are getting real kernel developers from companies such as SUSE or RedHat to talk about various topics. The detailed schedule will be posted shortly, and will include topics such as networking, service management, advanced file systems, kernel debugging and tracing, and so on. This is a unique opportunity to actually get to talk to top notch experts in the field. Preliminary schedule is at https://d3s.mff.cuni.cz/teaching/advanced_operating_systems.

- Plus, in case you are interested, we are opening a brand new lab on constructing dynamic compilers, led by Jaroslav Tulach from Oracle. If you sometimes think about creating your own programming language with top class optimizing compiler, this lab will teach you how to do that in an afternoon (OK, maybe in a weekend :-). Preliminary information at https://d3s.mff.cuni.cz/teaching/Seminar-Poster-One.pdf, the (temporary) course code is NSWI029.

- Thanks to everyone who filled in our survey. In case you did not do it yet but want to, the link is https://goo.gl/forms/8VCvBeJYbpssRW362.

- We have changed the address of the mailing list. It is entirely my fault, sorry if it causes any confusion. Also, you can always change your subscription settings at https://d3s.mff.cuni.cz/mailman/listinfo/nswi004. Since this is a mailing list dedicated to one lecture only, we will unsubscribe everyone at the end of the summer semester.

- If you have any data on the uniform server, please make a backup, we will be shutting the server down in about two weeks.

If you need anything else, mail me.

Regards, Petr Tuma