[NSWI004] First assignments scoring

Vojtech Horky horky at d3s.mff.cuni.cz
Tue Nov 5 13:18:27 CET 2019

Hello,

we finished checking your first assignments (i.e. 00 and 01). We have
uploaded our comments to your solutions to your home directories on
lab.d3s.mff.cuni.cz into file SCORE. Sorry for the delays, we will try
to check next assignments sooner after deadlines.

We will be updating this file with each assignment.

Please, contact us as soon as possible in case you find any issues.

Note that we were rather tolerant with respect to coding style and using
code of someone else. We will be more strict in further assignments
especially in cases of plagiarism.

This is an OS course: if you take B-tree implementation from some open
source project and properly cite it, it is no big deal as implementation
of data structures is not the goal of any assignment (or the course).
But if you take memory allocator from musl and use it for assignment 02,
it is cheating.

Regarding the coding style: while mostly the solutions worked, they
often lacked elegancy. They were difficult to follow, contained
duplicate code, comments were often unheard of and magic numbers ruled
everywhere.

Try to improve your code whenever you can. Refactor often. You will
return to it later anyway (because some bugs are always undetected by
the tests and will manifest themselves after several weeks). And it is
much easier to check for bugs in well-written code...

- VH