[NSWI080] Software for the 2nd Assignment (CORBA)

Vlastimil Dort dort at d3s.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Mar 13 15:28:55 CET 2019

Dear students,

next week I will give you assignment for the second homework. It will be
about CORBA and C++. Regarding the software we will use, we will need
a library that supports mapping from CORBA to C++, and there are two

1) OmniORB (http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/index.html). It is an
open-source library, but it uses a rather old C++ mapping, which doesn't
make use of modern C++ features and may be less intuitive to use.
The mapping to "old C++" is specified in https://www.omg.org/spec/CPP/1.3/PDF.

2) TAOX11 by Remedy IT (http://www.remedy.nl/products/taox11.html).
It provides a mapping to C++11 which might be easier to use (at least if
you know modern C++). However, you need to get an evaluation license
to use it. Remedy IT provides free evaluation licenses for classroom usage.
You can ask for the license by e-mail (use the link "Request evaluation
license" on TAOX11 website). Please include in your request a note
mentioning this course and that I am your teaching assistant,
so that Remedy IT can provide you an appropriate license that is valid
for the duration of the course.
The mapping to C++11 is specified in https://www.omg.org/spec/CPP11/1.1/PDF.

Feel free to choose your option, we will treat both variants the same way.
In case you want to use TAOX11, I recommend asking for the license in
advance, since it might take some time.

Vlastimil Dort