[OSy] Rxvt with uniform

Martin Decky decky at d3s.mff.cuni.cz
Fri Oct 14 16:53:41 CEST 2016

> I don't know why, but the terminal doesn't work well. The backspace key
> does not work (produces a space instead) and vim is unusable. This is
> the only server where I experience this behavior.
>
> I am using rxvt, which is probably responsible for this. Other emulators
> do work well. I think I am not the only one using rxvt, so I am sending
> this to the mailing list.

I have just tested rxvt 2.7.10 from Fedora 24. The input mapping works
fine for me, I have no issues with controlling vim, etc. FYI, the value
of my $TERM is "rxvt".

However, I have to switch to C locale in order to see reasonable output
of non-alphanumeric characters (i.e. in Midnight Commander). This is not
so surprising, the latest version of rxvt has been released in 2003 and
its support for Unicode (UTF-8) is very poor. Therefore I suggest you
switch to some other, more actively maintained terminal emulator.

M.D.