Lab #7 (Mar 30 – Apr 3)
- Refresh your understanding of what are the main components of a Linux-based operating system. This article may help you.
- What is the typical way how you install software on Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android and iOS? Are there any differences? Ask you friend or Google if you don’t have any device with a particular operating system.
- Read this Wikipedia page about package managers to understand why having a package manager is a good idea.
- Having latest versions of programs is very important not only because of security. How is it possible to update all programs on you computer with Windows and on computer with Linux?
- Package managers.
- Software installation.
- Keeping your system up-to-date.
Package managers affects the operation of the whole operating system. Therefore you need to run it with root (administrator) privileges. There are two approaches to this: start a shell session for root or only elevate the privileges for the single command.
The first approach is possible, for example, by running
su - in your terminal
and then authenticating with your root password. The new shell is then run under
the root user. Note that typically, root shell uses different prompt.
Normal user’s prompt ends with
$, root with
Or, you can preceed certain commands with
sudo, basicially saying run the
following command as root (actually, the command means do as super-user).
Note that if you have just installed Fedora, you may not have set password for
your root account yet. In that case, running
sudo su - should switch you to
root shell where you can change your password with
You can use
passwd to change password of the current user too.
dnfyou have on your system? Hint.
Install Arduino IDE on your machine. Check that it works the same way as you know from NSWI170 course (if you are not enrolled into that course, do not worry).
If you have your Arduino board, try connecting it to your machine and try uploading your code from NSWI170 to it. Note that this should work from VirtualBox too via USB pass-through.Hint.Solution.
Install other packages that you will require for this course. For now, ensure you have installed Python, Git, Bash, ShellCheck and your favourite text editor.
Do not forget about a web browser, terminal emulator etc.
Install Zoom client.
Note that the client is not part of the standard repositories and
you have to download the
actual package file first.
This file then can be installed normally via
dnf install path/to/file.rpm.
Note that when the package is not part of the repository, it will not be part of the standard upgrade process and has to be kept up-to-date manually.
als that allows you to easily
create archives of arbitrary type, unpack them or list their contents.
What command will tell you which package provides these programs?Solution.
zoompackage there.) Solution.
dnfso far and description of the last transaction. Solution.